Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2014

November 2014 Miscellany


So much crazy stuff is going on that it is hard to keep up with documenting all of it, but that's where a miscellany post comes in handy.

With the end of the year approaching, we are going on four awesome years flying Extreme Flight planes and accessories exclusively, six years flying Torque motors and Airboss speed controllers,  and six years of representing  Advanced Energy's Thunder Power brand. It's all been so much fun it sure doesn't seem like it has been that long.

Both have been incredible partners and we hope to keep this going for many more years.

Next Project_ 60" Extra EXP
It was a really hard decision, but I am going to go with another 60" Extra. I've got the space/finances for one last 60" plane, but they are all so good that I could not decide what to do.

 I've been flying my 64" MXS all week, and it remains the best plane I have ever owned. My Yak is still sort of new, so we are in the honeymoon period and I am really crazy about it. I also took the Edge out so I could compare all three back-to-back. In the end, they are all so good at what they do that it almost doesn't matter which one you get.

I had a bad time deciding which color 60" Yak to get because I wanted them both. I was originally going to get the Russian Thunder to compliment my yellow/blue, but I am not so paranoid about having backup planes any more. I can get one in two days and build it in seven hours, so it is not like the old days when it took four months to build and cover a kit. If I tear up a plane, I can replace it in less than a week.

As such, this means instead of having a few back ups, I can just get one of each, and right now in a 60 size I am missing the Laser and the Extra. I had a 60" Extra, but I was forced to sell it to a friend so I could finance another project, and to make storage space for it. I have always regretted that decision (though I am happy my friend loves it so much), and have vowed to get another one.

Some of you may remember my previous Extra. I flew it really hard and every day in the summer of 012 torture testing a pre-production Torque 4016/500. It took a lot of really hard usage, though in all that time it never had a single hard landing just because it was such a dream to fly. Having to run the motor hard meant lots of full throttle running, and this gave me the opportunity to work on my slow and point rolls, and also try to get all my flying looking a lot smoother. I need to get back to that, so it's time for another big Extra.

He is my previous Extra after I restored it with some new wheel pants and SFGs, a little heat from the trim iron and a few coats of wax. This was after the plane had probably 500 flights on it, so you can see that an Extreme Flight EXP will hold up really well with a reasonable amount of care



Of course I will be using one of my trusty Torque 4016/500 MkII motors, or maybe I will just buy a new one. Either way, it's going to be the Torque. Right now I am a bit up in the air for the speed controller because I want to run 7.4 volts to the servos, and currently the Airboss 80 is only good for 6 volts. I may run a separate Castle BEC, or I might go with a Castle Talon 90, which has a 7.4 volt capable BEC built in. I like to keep things really simple, so I am leaning toward the Castle.



The servos are going to be a little different this time, though. I've been using HS5245MG servos in all my 60s, and they have been very good, but it seems Extreme Flight is recommending higher voltage (7.4) servos for these planes now, and especially the 7245MH.

Hitec was kind enough to provide a set of their 7245MH servos for this project, so a big thanks to them.  Most guys have been setting their BECs to deliver 8 volts to these servos and are loving the extra speed and torque. I've flown a friend's 60" Laser with these servos and they were definitely an improvement. We will see how much of an improvement this is when I have them in my own plane that I can push hard.

From what other pilots are telling me, servo centering is not even close and the 7245MH is streets ahead. This kind of laser precise centering will make the plane trim out and stay trimmed out, which is just what you need when you are running the ridiculous throws were are. If you are a little off at the servo, that ends up being a long way off at the control surface. I'm really looking forward to opening this new plane up and seeing how well she tracks. She was really good before, but with better servos it's should be even more be mega


Specifications
Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Speed (6.0V/7.4V): 0.13/0.11
Torque oz./in. (6.0V/7.4V): 72 oz-in/89 oz-in
Torque kg./cm. (6.0V/7.4V): 5.2 kg-cm/6.4kg-cm
Size in Inches: 1.28 x 0.66 x 1.29
Size in Millimeters: 32.4 x 16.8 x 32.8
Weight oz.: 1.20
Weight g.: 34.0

 
 
 
 
Thunder Power Supply
More correctly that would be Thunder Power Power Supply, but you get the idea. I've had a
Thunder Power TP1527PS power supply for a year or so and have been alternating between using that and my Solid Hobbys unit.
 
For you spec hounds, click the link above, but I never concern myself with those things. I just use it and it does everything I ask from it. It runs cool and quiet, even in the Florida heat. It is not quite as powerful as my other power supply, but I like how compact it is, and also it's a Thunder Power product. 
 
 
All of these power supply/charger combinations are unwieldy to carry around and set up, not to mention they have a mess of wires to contend with. Seen below is how I have been using the two pieces together. It's a nice matching set, very professional looking, which is important for me since I represent Thunder Power.
 
The only problem is the same with every other power supplies I have seen .....you have to break everything all down and carry the two pieces separately when loading and unloading your gear, dragging the wires behind you.  Like this the unit merely rests on top, and if you try to carry the two together the charge will simply fall off.
 
 
I discovered that if I turn the power supply lengthwise, my TP820CD charger sits neatly on top with sides of the charger extending down and cradling the sides of the power supply, almost like it was made to fit that way (which it may have been). I attached the two together with some Velcro, and now I can carry it as a single unit, and the whole unit takes up less space at the crowded charging stations at the club field.
 
Now I just unplug it and carry the thing as one piece. Set up like this I take it out of the car and use it without having to struggle with all the wiring and all. I set it on the bench and it's ready to use. It's kind of like having a charger and power supply all on one, but I simply pull it apart if I want to use the pieces individually.
 
It's a bonus the wiring is also a bit more compact and neat. It's neater and looks better this way. I'm going to play with it like this for awhile and if I like it I'll shorten up the wires from the charger to the power supply and make the unit even more neat and tidy.
 
 
As you can see, there are two USB ports on the end. Not having a cell phone, I didn't understand the significance of this until it was pointed out to me you can use this thing to charge your cell phone up while you are flying, or any other time for that matter. Now I am going to have to get a cell phone so I can charge it with my TP2527PS!
 
Finally
Well, you knew there was going to be a flight video, right?
 
This is my very trusty 48" Yak. I built this plane to test some development pieces I can't talk about just yet, so it was unfortunately expendable from the very beginning. I've dumped it a few times and broke three or four landing gear, blew out the motorbox, and ripped the rudder clean off the plane once. Still, I have stayed on top of the repairs so they didn't add up, and she remains a very attractive airplane. Ordinarily I would not go to so much effort because it is so easy to build a new one, but this particular plane flies so well that she won't be done until she has a very righteous and violent death.
 
As such, I fly her in a manner that guarantees a Viking funeral.......just not too soon, I hope.
 


Yak EXP More Stupid Yak Tricks from Doc Austin on Vimeo.
 
While we're at it, let's flash back to our last video with my wonderful 60" Extra. I can't wait to get another one going.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment